Cockney Rabbit

the-new-you.png

Recently I have been asked questions about some of the lingo on my blog, especially from those outside of the UK. So I thought I would prepare a short list of slang for you to use as a ‘jargon-buster’ which may help to decipher some of my colloquialisms.

Rhyming slang is used widely in London, and you need to understand the concept especially if you want to understand Danny Dyer in Eastenders. Basically words that rhyme with the word you want to say are used…and often the word that actually rhymes is removed altogether (unrhyming slang), and you have to work it out!

Here a 20 popular cockney rabbit terms; (Rabbit and pork…talk)

1)”She’s a right old three wheeler” ย (Three wheel trike – Dyke /Lesbian)

2) “He don’t fancy girls, he’s a Perry” (Perry Como- Homo)

3) “He was hit by a bullet from a Billie” (Billie Piper- Sniper)

4) “If you can’t get home, I’ll give you a Charlie”. (Charlie Pride- Ride)

5) “Im really tired, Im going for a feather” (Feather and Flip -Kip)

6) “Look at that oil rig he’s wearing!” ย (Oil Rig-Wig)

7) “Pint of Lager please, I’ve got a right Geoff Hurst on”. (Geoff Hurst- Thirst)

8) “Stop crying and dry your Britney’s”. (Britney Spears -Tears)

9) “You’ve got chocolate all over ya Boat”. (Boat Race -Face)

10) “Im santa’d mate!” (Santa’s Grotto -Blotto/Drunk)

11) “She’s got a nice pair of Bristols.” (Bristol City- Titty)

12) “Blimey, It don’t half pen and ink in here!”(Pen and Ink- Stink)

13) “You heard about George Michael?..he’s brown bread! (Brown Bread- Dead)

14) “Had the Vauxhall Novas knock on my door last night.” ( Vauxhall Novas- Jehovas Witnesses)

15) “There are some right brasses out tonight!” (Brass Flute- Prostitute)

16) “Lend us a Pavarotti!” (Tenor/ Tenner/Ten pound)

17) “Shut that bleeding Roger!” (Roger Moore- Door)

18) “He got kicked in the fruit and nuts.” (Fruit and Nuts- Guts)

19) “Do us a cheesy!” (Cheesy Quaver -favour)

20) “He aint got a job, he’s on the Ashley!” (Ashley Cole- Dole)

If you like my blog, please get to know me better and visit my social media pages by clicking the links below

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Instagram

19 thoughts on “Cockney Rabbit

1. soulfood101blog April 22, 2017 / 5:08 pm

lol I got most of it but I don’t know what “Kip” is?

Is it bad that the Vauxhall Novas- Jehovah Witnesses will only come to my house once and then they never come back?

• The Gay Stepdad April 22, 2017 / 6:33 pm

A kip is a ๐Ÿ˜ด sleep ! You are definitely lucky with the Vauxhalls!!

• soulfood101blog April 22, 2017 / 8:15 pm

sleep ๐Ÿ˜‰ got you. The “Vauxhalls” always say they want to talk about Jesus. I say YA! me too, and I start talking about Him. They leave and never come back!??!

2. fattymccupcakes April 22, 2017 / 6:29 pm

This is amazing. So, when you say you have to figure it out, does that mean that this is universal slang in London (and non-Londoners need to figure it out) or that people just make up slang that rhymes as they go and you are forever working it out in your head how to rhyme to figure it out?

• The Gay Stepdad April 22, 2017 / 6:38 pm

This is all pretty universal slang in London….that non-Londoners have to use their loaf a bit to understand!

3. Monster Mermaid April 23, 2017 / 10:53 am

Love this ๐Ÿ™‚ ‘Brown Bread’ is used in Dublin too I think.

4. thebeasley April 23, 2017 / 11:03 am

Haha I love 7 & 8. I’m so going to drop those into conversation asap.

5. noellekelly April 23, 2017 / 11:06 am

My husband is obsessed with Danny Dyer (he’ll love this!)

6. Hugh's Views and News April 23, 2017 / 12:06 pm

This is going to come in very handy when in London for the Bloggers Bash. ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks, Matt.

7. Lisa Orchard April 23, 2017 / 1:44 pm

I’m bookmarking this post so if I ever write a character from the UK…I’ll have the lingo down! Thanks for sharing! ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Denzil April 23, 2017 / 2:19 pm

I’m going to try some of these out in Belgium!

9. RJGnyc April 24, 2017 / 2:46 pm

Didn’t get even one of them. Trying not to feel like just one more dense Yank ….

10. Peg Stueber-Temp and Tea April 27, 2017 / 7:31 pm

And I thought American slang was confusing…

At least I can finally type spotted dick without giggling.